Sunday 8 June 2014

Reuse and recycle

It finally looks like we're getting somewhere, not just in the veg patch but also in the rest of the garden. The weeding level has gone down to something approaching normal and I can actually see that I might catch up. Jim's scythed the entire acre again and the grass clippings from the lower paddock alone were just enough to mulch the potatoes.

The potatoes are mulched. Three more weeks till harvest time!
The potatoes are mulched. Three more weeks till harvest time!
It's fantastic to use the grass clippings for mulching immediately and recycle all that goodness back into the soil. We've also started two more batches of nettle fertiliser. Very satisfying to weed and then drop the nettles straight into a barrel for stewing.

The outlook: more cucumbers
The outlook: more cucumbers
Not long now
Not long now
Broccolis are forming
Broccolis are forming
Swiss chard
Swiss chard
I've planted out the leeks this week. Quite an involved procedure: topping and tailing the leeks, making 15cm deep holes, dropping the leeks in without filling the hole with soil and then filling the holes with water. Times 32.

The pumpkins have recovered somewhat after I ramped up the fertilising regime. I now fertilise every other day and they seem to like that.

The pumpkins are looking healthier again
The pumpkins are looking healthier again

Some of the plants that I thought were butternuts have turned out to be pumpkins so all the squashes are mixed up - never mind. Very pleased to have spotted the first distinct butternut shape:

That one is definitely a butternut
That one is definitely a butternut
The outdoor tomatoes are looking very well. No fruits yet, but plenty of flowers and a nice green colour:

The Ailsa Craig tomatoes doing fine outside so far
The Ailsa Craig tomatoes doing fine outside so far
The artichokes, however, are not looking so hot. Something seems to be chomping the leaves. Is there anything that can be done about that? Artichoke experts, please help!

What's eating the artichokes?
What's eating the artichokes?
The plot is filling up
The plot is filling up


7 comments:

  1. I will give you credit your blog is very readable with great photos. Everything looks quite advanced considering you are so far north. I look forward to see how things progress from here

    We are new to all this blogging please have a look at ours and pass comments
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. babusallotmentplot28 June 2014 at 18:50

    I must agree with Noemeportugal, your plot is looking absolutely fabulous! You have so much growing, it is so exciting! I love the mulching, I need to do a bit more mulching myself having had a dozen bags dropped off. The grass does have a horrid stench if left in the bags...and it securely stays on your hands for days after!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fettlersonland28 June 2014 at 21:49

    Thanks, guys. We've been mulching pretty much everywhere since you suggested it. Wonderful - cuts down weeding, keeps things moist and slow-release fertiliser. We have so many grass clippings so it's a great way to use them up. At the moment the grass dries very quickly but if it stays moist it sure smells! I've been mainly handling it with gloves on, mainly because there are so many beasties in there and got bitten quite a lot initially. We wanted to try as much veg as possible this year and it is rather addictive. I've been sowing much more than I anticipated. Everything that I didn't buy, like aubergine and melon seeds, I got given by friends. Next year, I want to grow all the same veg again, plus asparagus and sweetcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. babusallotmentplot29 June 2014 at 10:33

    I had a bag which was so rotted down that I tipped it in my flower bed without realising, although I had gloves on, the grass was wet and stunk! My hands caught the stench and it was horrid!! Fresh grass all the way now, although my grandad always wants me to use the rotted stuff! YUK!!

    I think your plot looks so lovely, everything is growing so well. I'll keep you informed of my sweetcorn so you get an idea of how big they grow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful plot--must be really satisfying to see it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fettlersonland29 June 2014 at 19:30

    Yes, it's very satisfying! Hard labour, but now we're getting the rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fettlersonland29 June 2014 at 19:34

    Yes, I'd like to hear how you get on with the sweetcorn and how the mini one works out.

    ReplyDelete