Wednesday 21 May 2014

All abed

The last two vegetable beds have been repaired and now all the beds are planted, with one gap for the leeks. Today the courgettes went out and the conservatory is looking spacious again.

The courgettes are out!
The courgettes are out!
I picked a sunny day and put some grass mulch around them so hopefully they won't be too shocked tonight.

The celeriacs got planted out today, too
The celeriacs got planted out today, too
I planted 16 celeriacs, which seems quite a lot, but I hope they'll keep well into the spring. Ever since seeing a poster in my local greengrocer advertising celeriac with the slogan 'The Ugly One', I've had a fondness for it. Much prefer it to celery.

The potatoes need earthing up
The potatoes need earthing up
We've had a couple of hot, humid days (well, 19C, but it felt hot working on the plot) and things have just shot up in the veg garden. It actually looks like we might have some crops soon!

My experimental corner: artichokes and outdoor tomatoes (and pumpkins)
My experimental corner: artichokes and outdoor tomatoes (and pumpkins)
So far the outdoor tomatoes are doing well just inside the windbreak fabric and the artichokes seem to like their new position, too. I've started using up our grass clippings as mulch. On a gardening website that I consulted it said only to use weed-free lawn clippings. What kind of world do these people live in? A weed-free lawn? Reminds me of the woman on Gardeners' Question Time who wanted to plant a nettle patch in her garden for the wildlife...

No comments:

Post a Comment